By Chaundra Bishop, Adams County Health Dept.
Together, we are working to reduce obesity rates that lead to health problems and disease. We encourage children and adults to develop healthy habits; creating a culture that values good nutrition and active lifestyles. We work with community groups to increase opportunities for community members to improve their health.
About……..5-2-1-0 Let’s Go! is an initiative led by the Adams County Health Department and United Way of Adams County to impact obesity and encourage regular physical activity.
Let’s Go! uses a multi-sector approach to reach youth and families where they live, study, work, and play to reinforce the importance of healthy eating and active living. The program emphasizes a healthy lifestyle by eating 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, no more than 2 hours of recreational screen time (TV, Video games, computer), 1 hour of physical activity, and 0 sugary drinks.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
- Nearly three fourths (70.6%) of Adams County adults are overweight or obese.
- The rates of obesity in children aged 2-19 have more than tripled since 2000.
- Almost half (41%) of Adams County youth 10-17 years old are overweight or obese.
- Being overweight or obese increases the risk of premature death and many diseases and health conditions.
- Obesity costs the nation $75 billion in direct costs each year.
Sorry, we couldn't find any upcoming events.